August 9, 2023 ǀ Revive our Oceans is one category of the Earthshot Prize. In 2022, winner of this categorie were indigenous women of the Great Barrier Reef – An inspiring women led program that combines 60,000 years of indigenous knowledge with digital technologies to protect land and sea. Their work brings together ancient knowledge, passed down from generation to generation, with most modern tools, like drones that monitor coral changes, forest fires and land degradation.
The 2022 Earthshot Prize Awards took place on Friday, December 2nd at the MGM Music Hall in Boston. Prince William and The Earthshot Prize revealed the 2022 Earthshot Prize winners – an accomplished group of entrepreneurs and innovators spearheading ground-breaking solutions to repair and regenerate the planet. The fve winners of 2022 are:
- Clean our Air: Mukuru Clean Stoves, Kenya – A start-up providing cleaner-burning stoves to women in Kenya to reduce unhealthy indoor pollution and provide a safer way to cook.
- Protect and Restore Nature: Kheyti, India – A pioneering solution for local smallholder farmers to reduce costs, increase yields and protect livelihoods in a country on the frontlines of climate change.
- Revive our Oceans: Indigenous Women of the Great Barrier Reef, Australia – An inspiring women led program that combines 60,000 years of indigenous knowledge with digital technologies to protect land and sea.
- Build a Waste-free World: Notpla, United Kingdom – A circular solution creating an alternative to plastic packaging from seaweed.
- Fix our Climate: 44.01, Oman – Created by childhood friends who have developed an innovative technique to turn CO2 into rock, and permanently store it underground.
Get to know more about the work of the indigenous women of the Great Barrier Reef: