Who is the best of the best when it comes to new, innovative water technologies? The Aquatech Innovation Award once again sets out to answer this question and recognize world-class innovation and technologies that have the potential to disrupt the global water market. This year a total of 12 innovative technologies have been selected from an impressive number of entries by an expert jury in the lead up to the flagship Aquatech Amsterdam event. Award entries were submitted across four categories, with the jury identifying nominees from each category to be considered as candidates for the overall prize.
Category winners as well as the Overall Winner of the Aquatech Innovation Award 2019 will be revealed at the opening ceremony of the Amsterdam International Water Week and the Aquatech Amsterdam, taking place on November 4.
The Aquatech Innovation Award has four categories: Innovation – not yet to market; Process control technology & Process automation; Waste water treatment; and Water Supply (drinking water, clean water, including point of use). The judging criteria are originality (50%), practicality (25%) and sustainability (25%). The nominees have been chosen from entries representing increasingly diverse technologies.
Major trends in Award entries: automatization and urbanization
"We noticed two major trends across the entries this year," comments jury chairman Professor Cees Buisman, Scientific Director of Wetsus, European centre of excellence for sustainable water technology. "The first was a rise in the number and ability for sensors to measure online parameters that were not possible before. This gives the potential for greater automatization of the water sector. "The second trend we spotted was urbanization. There is now an increasing difference between cities and the countryside because of the heat, waste and resource recovery challenges facing urban areas. Water technology innovations are helping to bring solutions to the challenges of urbanization."
The nominees for the 2019 Aquatech Innovation Award are:
Category: Innovation – not yet to market
- flowIQ® 2200 – Kamstrup
- Kaumera Nereda® Gum – Royal HaskoningDHV
- PipeDiver Laser – Xylem Europe GmbH
Category: Process control technology & Process automation
- DropletSens-NO3 – SouthWestSensor Limited
- GoAigua’s IoT and Big Data platform – GoAigua
- OPTIWAVE 1400 C – Krohne Nederland
Category: Waste water treatment
- ABX – Aquafortus Technologies Limited
- Flowrox Corona – Flowrox Oy
- Sewtree – ATB WATER GmbH
Category: Water supply (drinking water, clean water, including point of use)
- MPC – NanoBubble – LG Sonic B.V.
- Self-cleaning Metalmembranes – Metalmembranes.com B.V.
- BatcoSense – SIGRIST-PHOTOMETER AG
Jury members of the Innovation Award 2019
- Prof.dr.ir. C.J.N. Buisman (Wetsus) – Chairman of the Jury
- Ir.C.A. Uijterlinde (Stowa)
- Ir.P. Kamp (retired – formerly PWN Technologies)
- W.F. Volmer BSc (Nmi Certin BV)
- Prof. M. Kennedy, PhD (UNESCO-IHE Institute for Water Technology)
- J.S. Vrouwenvelder (King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST))
- Prof.dr.ir. A.J.H. Janssen (Shell)
- Drs. H.J. Gastkemper (Stichting RIONED)
More information on all nominees can be found here.